Thursday, 27 February 2014

Schnitzels & Spritz @ Boopsi's

Boopshi's
During my year in New York I made a group of 3 great girlfriends, affectionately known as my Meatballs (thanks be to the Jersey Shore for both the term 'Meatball', and the incredible drunken night out we had last October!)



Upon our return to London Town, we agreed to host Jersiversaries (meatball dates) whereby we rendezvous to chat and catch up and have some food and (oh, if you insist!) a beverage or four.

Our latest haunt was Boopshi's, described online as a Alpine non-Chalet, serving simply the best schnitzels and spritz this side of Austria. Or Germany. Or wherever it is that is home to the original Shnitz.
Aside from caviar, foie gras and other very upper class and posh foods, one of my favourite things in the world are chicken nuggets. I love them. They are the answer to most of life's questions:
- Hangover? Chicken nuggets.
- Feeling a little bit blue? Chicken Nuggets.
- Celebrating a payrise? Chicken nuggets WITH champagne. Naturally.

So, despite a schnitzel being in breadcrumbs and not batter- to me it was a 'potato, potarto' matter- the concept was pretty much the same, and I was immediately sold.

We all rocked up from our respective London boroughs to the very cute and cosy eatery near Tottenham Court Rd, on a drizzley and cold Monday night- to celebrate our meatballness through the medium of food and drink, and have a good ole chinwag about life.



The interior is very cute- think stripped wooden tables, benches, high tables with stools- all very natural and clean looking and very simple- no bells and whistles, just a small vase on each table. The staff are kitted out in Boopshi's aprons (a la ski resort) although I was a little disappointed to not see any lederhosen. Or felt hats with feathers in. And I did kind of hope to hear some yodelling. 

The menu is very cool, everything sounds delicious (having said this, I still have no idea what 'spatzle' is) and it is pretty reasonably priced. I ordered chicken schnitzel with a duck egg (go large or go home) and frites. 2 of the girls ordered spatzle'n'cheese with their schnitz's and SM got sauerkraut, which she loved, and I had much less of an appreciation for.

The portion sizes are massive- so we really could have shared 1 side between 2 people, and still have been full- but a) we didn't know this and b) I'm a pig and don't like sharing food!! 
The food was great- albeit nothing particularly mind blowing or show stopping- it is simple and it is done well. 


It is the law of England that you need to accompany your Boopshi's schnitzel with  one of their speciality spritzer drinks... And as we are law-abiding citizens, we obviously followed suit.
I ordered the #1 spritz- containing Campari, sherbet, blood orange soda and prosecco . It was brought out in a huge glass and was an amazing bright orangey/red colour. I had no idea if I would like it since I was unfamiliar with 75% of the ingredients, but it was amaaaazing! I could have happily polished off another one (5) but alas, it was a school night and I didn't fancy a fuzzy head in the office the next day.


It was the perfect place to meet - the food was good, the drinks were great and the atmosphere was such that we didn't feel we had to keep our voices down, yet also didn't feel like we were being eavesdropped on.

We left Boopshi's as full, happy meatballs- and the standard has been set for the next place to compete with! 

Watch this space...


No comments:

Post a Comment